source : my mum
Takkali Sadam - Takkali being tomato and Sadam is rice in Tamil. When my mum mention that she prepared this rice, I was interested to find out more.
You see this is not the typical tomato rice which has tomato puree/paste, evaporated milk, cinnamon etc. It is simple and quite a dish by itself. You can have it with any type of raita. I had mine with Chicken Yogurt Masala. Lets look on how to prepare Takkali Sadam.
What You Need
2 cups of basmathi (or any long grain rice)
3 cups of water
2-3 tomatoes - cut small (I used cherry tomatoes)
15 shallots - sliced
2 cloves of garlic
1 inch of garlic
1 green chilly
How to Prepare:
- Wash and soak rice for 20mins.
- In a wok, heat oil. Saute onions, garlic, garlic and ginger till the onions are soft.
- Add in tomatoes and saute further till the tomatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat, cool and blend into a paste.
- In a rice cooker, add in the rice, mix the tomato mixture and salt, mix well. Cook