Moringa leaves and drumsticks are full of nutritions. There are many articles/write-ups to attest its goodness.
Some articles that you can read about the magical
I love moringa, both the leaves and the drumsticks. . You can make a nice drumstick rasam or or even omelette.
As these trees grow very easily in the middle east, you find them plenty around where ever you live. I have got branches from my neighbour hanging over my side of the villa compound wall. What a nice to way enjoy them right from the garden. All you have to do is take a few branches enough to make your favourite dish.
As much nutrition you get from these wonder leaves, cleaning them can be tedious, time consuming. You need patience to remove the leaves from the stems. Like the saying goes no pain no gain, if you want to enjoy the goodness of moringa, you have to bear the tedious session of cleaning.
Lets look at making Thannisaar
3/4 cup of toor dhall
1 tbs ginger garlic paste
3/4 tsp of turmeric powder
2-3 red chilly
1 medium sized tomato - chopped
1.5 tsp of sambar powder
1 tsp of fennel powder
1/2 tsp of cumin powder
1 cup of moringa leaves - already cleaned
1 tsp of tamarind paste, dliuted in 150ml of water
1/3 cup of milk (or coconut milk)
1 tsp of mustard seeds
1/2 tsp of urad dhall
a few dry chilly
a dash of hing
1 medium sized onion -chopped
A few sprigs of curry leaves
- Wash and boil (pressure cooker) toor dhall with enough water with ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, 2 -3 chilly, chopped tomato.
- Once the toor dhall is cooked, smashed it with the back of spoon, sort of congee like, add some more water and tamarind juice
- Add in the powders and cooked further for a few more minutes.
- While the dhall is being cooked, in a small pan, heat oil, once hot, add in mustard seeds, once they splutter, add in urad dhall and fry till the urad dhall is brown.
- Add in hing, fry for a few seconds and add in dry chilly.
- Add in onions and fry till soft, add in curry leaves
- Pour the onions mixture into the dhall and add in 1/3 cup milk(coconut milk, if you desire)
- Add in moringa leaves and allow to a light boil before removing from heat.
- Enjoy with hot steaming rice and pappad,