Sunday, August 22, 2010
Amma's Briani Rice
I have not been updating for sometime although did try out a few dishes. Now that we are settled again in Doha, so it is time to update my blog again. Just before leaving Malaysia had a feast of food at my mum's. She made her special Briyani Rice and Chicken Varuval ie Dry Masala Chicken. I add on with 2 new dishes tried out from a recipe book which my hubby got it for me after our wedding.... I have tried a few of them which I will share later on. Now let us feast on the recipes....
Amma’s Briyani Rice
8 cups of basmathi rice or long grain rice
1 cup of evaporated milk
6 cups of water
A handful of cashew nuts – halved
A handful of raisins
A handful of rock sugar
Salt to season
2 large onions – chopped finely
2 tbs of ghee
2 star aniseeds
2 bay leafs
1. Wash rice and soak for at least 1 hour. Drain dry.
2. Heat ghee in a wok. Once melted, sauté cinnamon, star aniseeds, cardamoms and bay leafs for a few minutes.
3. Next sauté onions till translucent and soft.
4. Fry cashew nuts about 1-2minutes, add raisins, stir fry for a more seconds, add rice and mix well.
5. In a rice cooker, boil both evaporated milk and water together with rock sugar and salt. Once boiling, add rice mixture into the water and cook till is done.
6. You may garnish with mint leaves and chopped coriander leaves.
note : water ratio should be based on the type of rice used. adjust accordingly.
Asparagus & Prawns Stir Fry Ingredients 1 whole garlic 4-5 birds eye chilies -adjust according to how spicy you want 1 bunch of a...
I love making this curry. It is normally a combination of a few type of vegetables usually available in Malaysia/India. Otherwise simply ad...
An evergreen recipe - remembering my childhood memories of baking butter cakes for birthdays and deepavalis. Back then, though, we used to ...
My dad has been pestering me for fruit cake since I am back for the holidays. Emm thought of looking out for something fast and found this...