Japanese Cotton Cheese Cake
adapted from : www.dairimama.blogspot.com
250gm cream cheese
100ml heavy whipping cream (can use milk)
60gm superfine flour (I used all purpose flour)
6 egg yolks
1 tbsp. of lemon juice
1 tsp of lemon zest
1/4tsp of cream of tartar
140gm fine granulated sugar ( divided into 2 half into egg yolk, other hall for egg whites)
|the surface looks not appetizing at lot but it sure taste good....|
1. Preheat oven at 150C and a kettle of water to a boil.
2. Lightly grease and line the bottom and sides which should be 1 ½@ above the rim of an 8@ pan with greaseproof paper.
3. Melt cream cheese, butter and whipping cream in a double boiler.
4. Cool the mixture over an ice bath.
5. Fold in the flour, egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, salt and zest and mix well.
6. Whisk egg white until foamy, them add in cream of tartar and whisk on the highest speed.
7. Add in the sugar gradually and whisk until soft peaks form. ( if lifted with the whisk, the white should have a curve tip)
8. Add 1/3 of the whisked egg white into the cream cheese mixture in 4. Mix it really well with the biggest spatula available.
9. Fold in the rest of the egg white and then fold in, from the center to the sides and not forgetting the bottom of bowl. Do not over mix.
10. Pour into the pan. Line a roasting pan with a kitchen at the bottom and place cake on the cloth. Place the roasting pan in the oven and pour boiling water into the roasting pan. Water level should be half way of the cake.
11. Bake cake for 1½hours or until set or golden brown.
12. Leave in the oven with door ajar for an hour until cake cools.
13.. Take it out of oven and turn cake out of cake pan. Wrap with aluminium and leave in the fridge.