If you want something quick and easy to prepare - a 2 in 1 dish combining dhall and vegetable. You can use any
Ingredients that you require
1 tsp of ginger garlic paste
1 medium sized tomato - quartered
1/2 tsp of turmeric for boiling dhall + 1/2tsp for frying cabbage
4-5 green chilly - slit into half
200 gms of shredded cabbage
1/4 cup of milk + 1/2 cup of water ( or 3/4 cup of medium thin coconut milk)
1 tsp of fennel powder
1/2 tsp of cumin powder
salt to taste
chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
1/2 tsp of urad dhall
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
3-4 dried chilly
1 sprig of curry leaves
a dash of asofetida
1 large onion - sliced thinly
3 tbs of oil
1. Wash and boiled the dhall with salt, ginger garlic paste, tomato, turmeric and green chilly into fine soft.
2. In a wok, heat oil, once hot, add in mustard seeds and once splutter, add in urad dhall and cumin seeds. Once the urad dhall turn brown, add in asofetida and chilly. Fry for a few seconds.
3. Add in onion, salt and curry leaves and fry till the onions are soft.
4. Add in the cabbage, turmeric and fennel powder, stir well and cook further.
5. Once the cabbage is cooked, add in the cooked dhall, milk and water, mix well and cook till the it starts to boil. I prefer my cabbage kootu to be not too thick or thin.
6. Remove from fire and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with hot rice.