The first time I prepared this briyani was long before I started blogging, actually when we first move to Doha. You have to marinate the chicken and set aside for a short while. Prepare the rice separately. Put them together and cook and you get a nice aromatic briyani.
Typically Malaysian briyani's comes with in a set of briyani rice, chicken/mutton/beef either as a thick gravy and side dish like raita or acar buah- @ fruit pickle
So when I was cooking this briyani, I keep thinking that I need a gravy to go with. But you will surprise there enough gravy once you get it all done.
I cant remember whose recipe I had used previously, but this time I used Chef Sanjay Tumma of Vahrehvah.com
My portion consists of 1kg of chicken thigh drumstick part which I cut into two ending up with 12 pieces altogether.
As for the rice I used 3 cups about 480gm - it was more than enough for 3 of us for lunch.
3 cups of basmati rice or any long grain rice
1kg of chicken - cut into medium size
6 pc - peppercorn
1.5 tbs of lime juice - I used lemon instead
1 tsp - coriander powder
1 tsp - cumin powder
2 bay leaves
4-6 green chilly - slit diagonally
3-4 of cloves
3-4 of green cardamon
2 small sized cinnamon
2 large fried onion
Salt to taste
2 black cardamon - I did not use this
4-5 tbs chopped coriander leaves
1-2 tbs of mint leaves -
3-4 tbs of ginger garlic paste
2-3 pcs of mace
2.5 cups of yogurt
1tsp of tumeric
pinch of saffron soaked in 1tbs of hot water and let it dissolved
1. Put all ingredients except rice, fried onions and safron. Set aside some coriander leaves and mint leaves for rice Mix well and set aside to marinate.
2. Wash and soaked basmati rice for 1/2hour. This will ensure the rice be long and fluffy..
3. In a pot, add some oil to the boiling water and salt to taste. The right amount of salt will give you a good taste of the briyani, You will it is the the right amount of salt is when you taste the water it is salty. Add ingredients like whole cardamon, cloves and cinnamon, if desired.
|Rice being cooked|
4. Add in the soaked rice into the boiling water and half cooked the rice. To know what is half cooked rice is when the rice is boiling about 50% done. The grain of rice is crushed but not fully cooked - that is perfect for the rice.
|Strained rice before adding to marinated chicken|
5. How to cooked the briyani - In a deep, thick based bottom, lay the marinated chicken, lay evenly and spread well. Next spread in the half cooked rice. Spread evenly. Sprinkle the remainder coriander and mint leaves, fried onions and sprinkle the saffron liquid. Cover the briyani tightly and cooked over medium heat for about 20 mins and the remainder 10 mins on low fire.
|Rice spread over marinated chicken with the remainder fried onions and herbs|
Note : This is a tip from my friend, on how to avoid the meat from the sticking to the bottom of the pan (thats what happened to me though not to much), place a tray of water over the stove and then putting over the pot in the tray - in the other word - bain marie
|The final product served with onion raita|
|Chicken Hyderabadi Briyani|