Monday, July 18, 2011

Sri Lankan Porridge

I fell in love with this dish the first time I tried them and all thanks to my colleague at school, Mrs Fathima.   She shared this lovely dish for our morning break...

Now this is the interesting part of working in a multi cultural environment - you get to try many different dishes.  It has whole wheat, rice and everyday indian spices.  On the way back from school, I got to grocery and looked for hareesh - its Qatari for whole wheat...gosh this is the first time I am venturing into this wheat...

Did I try the recipe immediately, nope I did not get to try them immediately - it was a few days later that I actually made them.  Lets look at the ingredients and get fancy.

Ingredients

I cup of whole wheat
1/2 cup of basmati rice
1tsp garlic ginger paste
1 tomato - diced
2 chicken cube
1/2 a chicken - chopped small (I used chicken thighs)
2 carrots - diced
spring onions - chopped
1 tsp fenugreek
1 sprig of curry leaves
1 cup coconut milk/milk
salt to taste

* dry roast the following spices and grind to powder - dry chilly, cardamon, cinnamon, cumin, pepper corn.

Wash and soak overnight whole wheat.  Next boil with rice, remove froth, till soft, add the rest except the grinded powder.  cook till all well mushy and soft and thick...add salt and dry roast spices and milk, cook till well.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Quick and Easy Vegetable Briyani

Quick and Easy Vegetable Pulao with Pomegranate Raita 2nd Friday Aadhi Velli Menu of the day Naivedyam was Arisi Paruppu Payasam @ Rice ...