Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pesarrathu - Green Dhall Dosa

I was browsing for something simple to make for dinner and found this this one from Var Re Vah. What got my attention is the whole idea of making dosa without fermeting, emm how is that possible...and also using green dhall (whole moong dhall) as your main ingredient - well I made them a few nights ago for dinner.  I would definitely recommend this especially when you have guest coming and you may not have dosa batter at hand. 

Normally for the whole green dhall, I had cooked like I would for dhall with maybe some potatoes and with onions/chillies.
A typical dosa batter would be by soaking the urad dhall and rice for several hours, usually overnight, grind and let it to ferment for several hours and this I hate it when it does not ferment well.  I never like adding any kind of yeast.  I like the way my mum taught us - soak overnight, grind, add it to salt and leave it at a warm temperature.

However, with pessarathu it is a 1,2 and 3--- soak, grind and you are ready to cook...

Pessaruthu is an Andra Pradesh speciality - Andhra Pradesh is one state on the southern side of India, Telugu speaking people.  You can check out more on google.

Lets look at the ingredients

1cup of green dhall
1cup of rice - I used idli rice
1 medium sized onion
1-2 green chillies - deseeded
1/2 inch ginger
1tsp of cumin
salt to taste

How to do
  • Wash and soak rice and green dhall together at least 6 hours.
  • Grind all into fine paste like you would for dosa - not too thick or too thin. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
  • Heat a tawa, lightly grease, once hot pour a ladle of batter, spread it out in circular motion.
  • Let it cook, adding oil around the dosa lightly.  Fold into 2 and ready to serve.





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Quick and Easy Vegetable Briyani

Quick and Easy Vegetable Pulao with Pomegranate Raita 2nd Friday Aadhi Velli Menu of the day Naivedyam was Arisi Paruppu Payasam @ Rice ...