It is a soft white fish with long soft bone. You definitely need the fishmongers to clean and cut the fish as the skin is rather hard to be removed - they do a good job.
It is usually part of the menu for the ladies who just gave birth.. especially for breastfeeding mums...
You can make sorra puttu - steamed fish, finely cut onions, shredded coconuts; or simply shallow fry the fish which is marinated with some tumeric, ginger/garlic paste and salt and serve hot..Its yummy yummy...Or you can prepare them which is not typically what you expect of fish curry -
Now lets look at how to prepare Sorra Meen Masala.
Sorra Meen Masala
1 kilo of the fish - cleaned and sliced to bite size
2 tbs of ginger/garlic paste
1 big onions - sliced finely
2 tomatoes - quartered
a sprig of curry leaves
1 tsp of cumin seeds
2 tsp of fennel seeds
3-4 tbs of meat curry powder (depending on the spiciness
1 tsp of turmeric powder
3 cups of water
1/2 cup of milk/coconut milk
How to Prepare
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Saute cinnamon, cloves, aniseeds,cumin seeds and fennel seeds. When they turn color, saute onions and tomatoes.
- When the onios are soft, add in meat curry powder, turmeric and curry leaves. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add in 3 cups of water and boil the gravy to a require thickness.
- Once the gravy is thick, add in the fish and reduce the flame to medium/low heat. As this fish cooks rather fast, make sure the flame is low.
- Add salt to taste, becareful when stirring as the fish breaks easily. Add in the milk, stir slowly and let it boil for a few more minutes on low heat
- Remove from heat, sprinkle some chopped corianders and serve.