Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sweet Potato Kheer

A simple desert that was shared by my cousin, Laavan.  I always like to try something new and this kheer definitely caught my attention when he posted on his FB.

Traditionally in North India kheer is made of rice, served as a meal or as desert.  My first time making kheer was the day after my wedding.  I was told that before I can venture further into the kitchen, I am supposed to prepare kheer and serve to the guest, friends and families who were to support us during our wedding preparation and so I did.  Since then I have made a few times although I always preferred making ponggal - south indian version of rice desert.

So when Laavan posted his picture of sweet potato kheer, I thought I should try them since it was not the traditional rice kheer.  I checked and find out that this kheer is a traditional of Goan. My cousin's recipe has white sugar but I wanted to clear my stock of jaggery so I used that instead.

Sweet Potato Kheer
Source : Laavankumar Nyana Sekaran - Johor Bahru

Ingredients

0.5kg sweet potato 
2cups of sugar (I used jaggery)
2 cups of water
2-3 crushed green cardamons
5tbs of ghee
500ml of coconut milk (I used canned coconut milk)
1/2 cup of sago - washed (I used only 6tbs only)
a pinch of salt

Method

1.  Wash, scrap the outer skin and cube the sweet potato
2.  Heat a pan and add ghee.
3.  Add in the cardamom, stir a bit and add in the cubed potato, mix well
4.  Add in the water and sago and cook till the potato is soft and tender.
5.  Add in the sugar (jaggery), a pinch of salt and mix well
6.  Add in coconut milk and stir well and cook till it thickens.
7.  Make sure to stir every now and then so to avoid sticking to the pan.
8. Serve warm



Sathiarani

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Quick and Easy Vegetable Briyani

Quick and Easy Vegetable Pulao with Pomegranate Raita 2nd Friday Aadhi Velli Menu of the day Naivedyam was Arisi Paruppu Payasam @ Rice ...