Groundnuts, sesame seeds and coconut gives the rich taste to the salan and balance it with some spicy and tangy from the chillies and tamarind.
Let's look Bhindi ka Salan and how to prepare:
Bhindi Ka Salan
4tbs of groudnuts
2 tbs of white sesame seed
3 tbs of coconut (fresh or dried ones)
1tbs of kas kas (optional)
10 medium sized okra - washed and halved into
1 big onion - slice finely
1 tsp of ginger garlic paste
2 green chilly- chopped finely
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
a few pieces of fenugreek seeds
1 tsp of red chilly powder
1/2 tsp of coriander powder
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
4 tbs of oil.
1/2 cup of tamarind juice (from a lime sized tamarind soaked into half cup water)
1 sprig of curry leaves.
1 tsp jaggery
some coriander leaves finely chopped
1. Dry roast groundnuts on medium fire first as they take a little longer to roast. If using coconut pieces then add them together. Finally the sesame seeds and kas kas if using. Make sure it is not burned. Set aside and let it cool before grinding into smooth paste. You may add a little water to grind smooth.
2. Wash and pat dry the lady fingers, cut into half.
3. Next in a pot heat some oil. Fry the lady fingers to about brown. Set aside.
4. In the same pot, add in mustard seeds, cumin and fenugreek seeds. Once they start to splutter, saute onions with some salt till soft and brown.
5. Add in curry leaves and green chillies, fry for a few minutes.
6. Add in ginger garlic paste, tumeric, coriander and chilly powders - mix till the raw smell is gone and in the grinded masala mix with a cup of water and saute well into the mixture.
7. Stir on medium fire and keep stirring to avoid burning or sticking to the bottom of the pan till the oil starts to split.
8. Once the oil starts to split, add in chopped coriander leaves, tamarind juice, jaggery and salt to taste.
9. When it starts to boil, add in the lady fingers, stir well and cook for another 5 minutes on slow fire.
Bhindi ka salan ready for action!