Mr Hubby was suffering from running nose, fewer - all due to seasonal change from summer to winter. I thought of making chicken or crap soup but he wanted something light and meatless - in other words vegetarian.
And I remember my mum use to make milagu rasam for us in our younger days.
What you need..
- 4 tbs of black peppercorn
- 2 tbs of coriander seeds
- 1 tbs of cumin seeds
- 5-6 shallots
- 3-4 garlic
- 3- 4 dry chillies
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of urad dhal
- 1 sprig of curry leave
- 1 tomato - chopped finely
- lemon size tamarind - soak in hot water
- 1/4 tsp of tumeric powder
- coarsely chopped coriander leaves
- Dry roast slightly black peppercorn, coriander seeds, cumin seeds.
- Let it cool, grind coarsely with shallots and garlic. Set aside
- Heat oil in a wok/pan.
- Add in mustard seeds, once it starts to pop, add in urad dhall, fry for a seconds.
- Add in the dry chillies and curry leaves, stir further.
- Add in the tomatoes - stir in till the tomatoes are soft.
- Next add in the blended spices, give it another go for a few minutes
- Pour in the tamarind juice, salt and tumeric, mix well and let it boil on medium heat.
- Let it simmer for a few more minutes on low heat.
- Remove from fire and add in the chopped coriander leaves.