Thought of ending 2016 with a soupy story as Hubby is down with fever. Chicken soup for the soul.
Search and found this link :.http://solaiachiskitchen.blogspot.qa
So thanks to Mrs Solai, my hubby has a nice treat of rasam to soothe him.
Verdict from Hubby - he liked it
CHICKEN RASAM CHETTINAD STYLE
Courtesy of Mrs Solai (http://solaiachiskitchen.blogspot.qa)
250gm chicken pieces (I used about 350gm mainly from chicken wings and bones)
15 pearl onions - chopped ( I used shallots)
1 medium sized tomato - chopped
1tsp chilly powder
1tsp of turmeric powder
Rasam powder - to grind
1.5 tsp peppercorns
1.5 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp coriander powder ( I used 2tsp of coriander seeds instead)
Dry chillis - 2
Shallots - 8
Garlic - 5
1tsp of cumin seeds
1 sprig of curry leaves
1. Wash and place the chicken pieces into a pressure, Add in chopped tomato, shallots, chilly powder and turmeric powder. Add about 5 glass of water and salt. Stir and pressure cooker till 1 whistle and let it simmer for another 10mins. Switch it off from the flame.
2. While the chicken is cooking, prepare your rasam powder. Grind peppercorns, cumin, fennel seeds and coriander seeds to a fine powder. If using coriander powder add in only after grinding cumin, fennel and peppercorns. Add in shallots and garlic and grind further. Do not add any water to this mixture.
3. Open the pressure cooker and strain the contents. Set aside
4. In a pan, heat some oil. Once it is hot, add in some cumin seeds and curry leaves. Pour the strained soup into the pot and also the grinded powder. Salt to taste and let it boil gently and remove it from fire.
5. Serve hot with some chopped coriander.
** I did not strained the chicken pieces, instead left it together.
Enjoy a hearty soup to cure your cold.
HAPPY NEW YEAR, MAY THE COMING YEAR BRINGS THE BEST TO ALL MANKIND.