Everyone will claim theirs is authentic. And I would say this is the Malaysian style fried chicken with some sauce or gravy. Typically you would find the chicken is deep fried. I decided to bake them and broil it for extra crispiness.
You can have a black pepper gravy, mushroom gravy with side dishes that fancies you such as French fries, peas and carrot or mashed potato. Since my hubby was away for his graveyard shift, I decided to have mushroom gravy as mushroom is not his thing.
Lets look at the how I prepared my version of chicken chop with Mushroom Gravy.
1 kg of chicken thigh with skin and bones
2 tbs of fish sauce
2 tbs of light soy sauce
some freshly grounded black pepper
salt if required
4 cloves of garlic - minced finely
5-6 medium sized button mushroom - chopped finely
1tbs black pepper powder
3 cups of water (or chicken stock)
1 chicken stock cube ( not required if using chicken stock)
1 tbs of flour
Peas, French fries, sweet corn.
How to prepare
- Wash and drain the chicken pieces.
- In a bowl, add in fish sauce, light sauce, fresh black pepper and some olive oil. Taste if you require any salt.
- Add in the chickens, mix well.
- Cover and marinate at least an hour. Overnight will be perfect.
- Preheat oven at 200C
- In a baking glassware, coat it with some olive oil .
- In a plate of panko breadcrumbs, coat evenly the chicken pieces and arrange it the baking ware.
- Bake the chicken for about 30-35 mins with an additional of 3 mins on high broil to achieve the crispy pieces.
- Do not discard the marination juice, if any, for the gravy.
- While the chicken is being baked, you can prepare your gravy.
- In a pan/skillet - heat some butter.
- Add in minced garlic and saute till aromatic and soft.
- Next goes in chopped mushroom, saute well with butter and garlic till soft.
- Add in the chicken stock cube if using, mixing well with mushroom.
- Pour in water and any marinating juice, stirring and mixing well and allow it to boil and reduce a further.
- Salt to taste, seasoning with black pepper powder and freshly cracked pepper powder.
- Mix flour with some of the gravy, allowing no curdles and add on to the gravy and let boil for a few more minutes.
- Simmer further into a thick gravy to your preferred consistency.
- For serving - place the chicken pieces on the plate with some of your preferred side dish, pour over the gravy onto the chicken and ready to serve.
|Chicken Chop and Mushroom Gravy|